MA (TESOL) Program Profile
The TESOL program is now accepting applications for 2015 start date.
(View the following link for the 4 week intensive TESOL certificate program.)The MA (TESOL) Department was founded in 1995 when a need for an English-speaking graduate program in the north of Thailand was realized. Today, the program attracts both local and international students who wish to enrich their professional skills. A high standard of spoken and written English is expected from MA (TESOL) students. The program's small size affords students the opportunity to receive a high level of attention and support within a genial learning environment.
Name of Curriculum
Master of Arts Program in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
Department of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) International College
The applicants are required to have all of the following qualifications:
- A bachelor�s degree, preferably in English or another language-related subject.
- One of the following requirements:
- Language teaching experience of at least one year.
- Certificate in TESOL or a related field.
- At least 6 credits (or the equivalent) of undergraduate course credits in teaching or related to teaching.
- Probationary admission with the consent of the admission committee.
- A demonstrable level of proficiency in English appropriate for
postgraduate study and the professional practice of English language teaching.
For non-native speakers, one of the following is expected:
- A TOEFL score (internet) of at least 79 or a TOEFL score (computer) of at least 211 taken no longer than two years prior to application.
- International English Language Test (IELTS) score of at least 6.5 or greater (or an equivalent score on another recognized test), taken not longer than two years prior to application, is expected.
- Passing PYU English Test with a score of at least 550.
- Passing the preparatory courses offered by the university.
- An applicant with a TOEFL score (internet) between 72-78, the International English Language Test (IELTS) score 6.0 or PYU English Test with a score between 500 to 549 must pass an exit exam with a score equivalent to 79 (TOEFL) or 6.5 (IELTS) or 550 (PYU English Test)
The cost of completing the MA (TESOL) program will depend on how long it takes. Fees are payable at the start of each semester, based on the number of courses taken. View details of the current tuition and fees here.