One of the first people you will meet at International College Payap University is Chanitra Worayingyong otherwise known as Jiap. Jiap is responsible for admissions to the International College and has a wealth of knowledge about the application process and will advise and guide you through a process that can seem very daunting at first. However, with Jiap’s expert eye she will make the transition easy and smooth for you.
We talk to Jiap about some of the questions most prospective students ask when first contacting her, here’s what she has to say:
- Will the coronavius outbreak have any effect on the admissions process for prospective or newly admitted students?
- How many ways can I apply to the International College?
- What are the required documents for applying to an undergraduate program?
- What is the admissions process?
- Is there an application fee and do I need to make a deposit?
- I am concerned about visa regulations, will I get a visa from Payap University?
- Does an international student need to stay in a campus dormitory?
- What are the tuition fees of each program?
- How can I pay for my tuition?
Q: Will the coronavius outbreak have any effect on the admissions process for prospective or newly admitted students?
A: We are still welcoming applications for our academic programs. If you are waiting for a decision from us, please be assured that we will get this to you as soon as possible (Updated 26 March 2020).
Q: How many ways can I apply to the International College?
A: There are 3 ways a person can apply:
1. The first is in person:
Drop in and pick up the application forms or alternatively you can download the forms and print them out. You will need to hand in the completed application forms to me at the admissions office, Pentecost building (room PC101), on the main (Mae Khao) campus (view map).
2. The second way to apply is by post:
Send me your completed application forms to the admissions office by registered mail.
Admissions Office (Room PC101)
Payap University International College
Chiang Mai 50000
3. The final way to apply is via email:
Download all the information and fill in the forms, then email them to me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Q: What are the required documents for applying to an undergraduate program?
A: To get the process of application going we require the following documents:
- Your diploma from high school (grade 12, M6, or the result of an approved equivalency examination), you will need a GPA of at least 2.00
- If English is not your first language, then that you must demonstrate sufficient knowledge of English (TOEFL 61 internet-based, or IELTS 6.0 with at least 2 years’ validity). (Note: Students exempt from English testing requirements are passport holders of Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States).
- If you have a TOEFL score below 61 or an IELTS score below 6.0 you can still study at the International College! We will require you to study full-time in Payap’s Intensive English Foundation Program until you pass the advanced level B2 on Payap’s English Entrance Examination (OOPT- Oxford Online Placement Test). Once you have passed the English proficiency test you will be admitted into your degree of choice. The Intensive English Foundation Program gives you a great opportunity to improve on your English skills whilst still being part of the university.
- If you are within Thailand you may submit a TOEFL or IELTS result or you may take the Payap English Test (OOPT).
- When you are sending your TOEFL score to International College Payap University, use the code number 5948 when indicating the institution that should receive your score.
Q: What is the admissions process?
A: To make it easier to understand the process I have put together two flow chats, 1 for undergraduates and 1 for graduates. (See flow chats for more information)
Download the international undergraduate/ graduate programs admission process
Q: Is there an application fee and do I need to make a deposit?
A: Prospective students must submit a one-time, non-refundable application fee, along with their application package. For walk-in applicants, the application fee amount is 500 Thai baht. Students paying in person may pay in cash. For non-walk-in applicants (e.g., students applying from abroad by mail, phone, or e-mail), the application fee amount is 1,600 Thai baht and needs to be wired directly to the university. Please do not send cash with your application form. The university will not be held responsible for cash sent through the post which may get lost. Personal cheques, bank drafts, and money orders are also not accepted. We strongly encourage students to wire funds directly to the university.
Q: I am concerned about visa regulations, will I get a visa from Payap University?
A: Upon confirmation of acceptance into one of the International College programs, i.e., receipt of Acceptance Letter, international students will be required to pay a deposit of 6,400 Thai Baht. The entire amount of this deposit will go towards the tuition and fees paid later at registration.
Upon receipt of deposit, the Admissions Office will issue a visa letter to the student. This letter will be required when the student applies for a student visa in their home country. Students must take this letter to the Thai Embassy in their home country in order to obtain a 3-month non-immigrant visa. Once enrolled and entered into the Payap University system, the student will then notify our Personnel Office to obtain the appropriate student visa. We will guide you through the whole process, so please do not be concerned.
Q: Does an international student need to stay in a campus dormitory?
A: All first year, single undergraduate students who are not single parents are required to live in the Paradornparp International House (PIH) dormitory. The reason is to provide safe and secure housing for young students entering university life for the first time. Living in the PIH also affords new students companionship and a sense of community among fellow students.
As children are not allowed in the dormitory single parents must live off-campus. Additionally, students under the age of 18 who wish to reside in the dormitory must obtain expressed written permission from their parents or legal guardians as said students are not yet considered a legal adult.
While the university strongly believes in this policy, we also recognize that there could be exceptions. For example, mature students over a certain age may have legitimate reasons for requesting a waiver of this policy. Students who feel that they have a bona fide reason for not residing in PIH must formally request from the President of Payap University to be exempted from this policy. Upon completion of application, the student must bring a signed letter to the International College secretary in room PC103 in the Pentecost building. The letter will be delivered to the President for a final decision. The student will be contacted promptly when the letter is returned.
It must be noted that if this waiver request is denied, the student will be charged the full price of a dormitory room for the semester (18,200 baht) whether they choose to live in the dorm or off campus.
Q: What are the tuition fees of each program?
A: Each program differs slightly when it comes to tuition fees.
For a full breakdown of the fees please go to https://ic.payap.ac.th/?page_id=88
Q: How can I pay for my tuition?
A: You can pay cash in Thai Baht to the university finance office OR transfer/wire transfer it to the university bank account, for bank details please see our website.
After transferring the money, please scan a receipt of the wire transfer and send it to my email: email@example.com . Once the Admissions Office receives the confirmation of the wire transfer, we will then check with the Head of the Finance Office at firstname.lastname@example.org to determine the actual amount transferred. Please keep in mind bank wire charges, both on the sending and receiving ends may vary as do the currency exchange rates, so the amount sent may not precisely match the amount received.
We at the Admissions Office really look forward to welcoming you to International College Payap University and guiding you through the process of application. My door is always open so feel free to drop in and have a chat.
See you soon,
Chanitra “Jiap” Worayingyong